Sanyo 6LP4

This model number probably refers to 6 transistors and 4 power cells. I instantly fell in love with the coral colour and well designed front of this 1962 Sanyo. I've never been a fan of clock dial frequency displays, the pointer and a logarithmic ruler display has always been the one for me. When I say well designed, it's just simple things like a durable front with embossed writing that will never rub-off, even down to adding a little glass diamond (I think it's glass) next to the company logo on the speaker chrome grill. 


I've never come across a portable with two ear piece sockets as well? and an external aerial socket for extra pull-in power or perhaps a car aerial. It appeared on eBay for £5 faulty or offers? So £3.50 was the accepted figure, lol The detachable battery box that holds 4 x 1.5 volt torch cells was well corroded, and I spent quite a while with some wire wool and emery paper cleaning that, but again well made, so the battery terminals still retained some metal after that. With the 6 volt power now restored just a hint of hissing could be heard, so I stripped it all down to it's bare essentials and spayed the MW/LW rotary changeover switch and also the volume control with the usual WD40 type cleaner and we then had life in it again. I do always like to clean the inside of the cabinets when I repair stuff, my apprentice training in the television trade taught me that, after all perhaps it wont be repaired for another 54 years, but it will be visited to apply new battery's regularly.  
Not the best scan - but you can make out the principles
When I touched the red tuning pointer the paint fell off? so a splash of nail varnish was called for their, I always keep some in the tool box, useful for fix marking presets inside electronics. Also the volume control needed to be 'full-on' for reasonable sound, so I think a weakness may lye there somewhere, but for now it will do. After looking at the circuit, that I recently found, I might increase the feedback from the last IF (used as AGC presumably) this may help the gain of the machine. Otherwise it could be any one of the 2 IF transistors just being low gain, we'll see at a later date perhaps, as the scan is of the circuit is a little poor another one may turn up.

New dial pointer
So overall it's a nice transistor of it's time, Japanese construction has always been superior the the UK, hence the reliability factor being greater. Same with TV's, I think that around this time buying imported goods from Japan and Germany with WWII still in the memory of the buying public, and that's why these goods are made to a higher standard just so they can get the buyers back on their side.   
Tiny glass diamond with the logo (not on all versions)

It was missing it's leather carrying case and ear piece, but hey for £3.50 it was a steal - I can live with that! When it was new it was sold in the UK for 18 guineas (£19 a months wage then) 

No comments:

Post a Comment