Telsa 308U 'Talisman' radio (Czech) 1955.

TESLA (originally named after Nikola Tesla, later explained as abbreviation from technika slaboproudá, which means "low-voltage technology") was a large, state-owned electrotechnical conglomerate in the former Czechoslovakia. The company was established as Elektra on 18 January 1921 and renamed TESLA on 7 March 1946. 
This one I found hiding in Pettswood in Kent along with a GEC 4655 that I'll sort out next hopefully.
The most well-known international Tesla product was the Tesla 308U Talisman Bakelite radio designed by Igor Didov of Tesla Bratislava and made by several Tesla company branches between 1953 and 1958 and reel-to-reel tape recorder Sonet duo (1959-1965).
the repair
After cleaning it up I checked the input resistance (should be 4 valve heaters and mains dropper) about 1.2k ohms, it was o/c. So I removed all the valves and checked the heaters (ether side of pip on valve ) all read OK, but I noticed the the sound output valve had some damage to the holder (EBL21) . The valve had been forced in and the pip postilion marker broken away, thus lowing the valve to go back 'anywhere'  other that the right place. 
So I checked the layout plan and marked the pip position with a blob of paint, so if the valve is removed again you know where to align it right. I also cleaned the pins and the holder pins while doing this job. This gave me the resistance I needed and I connected mains, 
'A' shows sound output valve & pip, 'B' shows mains diode valve
We had crackles so looking good. I thin cleaned volume control and band switch contacts and applied a length of wire for an aerial. This gave the set lots of signals on 2 bands but a little distorted when volume turned up. This turned out the be a couple of 0.1uf coupling capacitors between the anode of the final IF and the sound output grid input (C37 and C40)
Finally the back was cleaned and warp flattened out and I fitted 3 brass fixing nuts that had been missing. The back had been stamped with lots of information but no paint was added. The white socket is aerial input (a must) with earth socket next and window by mains cable is for voltage selection. The chassis is protected from mains by a capacitor both on earth plug and mains input.
Both light bulbs (6.3v) were OK? and are in series with the valves so vary in brightness due to sound levels. I cleaned the cabinet with soapy water and then a covering of Linseed oil and she looks brand new again.

No comments:

Post a Comment